Monday, August 22, 2011

Still Waiting...

I apologize if you've been waiting for an update, I've been waiting for one as well! I had my blood drawn back on July 22nd, I was originally told it could be 3-4 weeks before I heard anything. This morning I finally heard something....keep waiting!


DKMS has not heard back from the patients doctor, this could be for many different reasons one reason may be that the patient is too sick at this time to move forward with the process. The patients doctor has 3 months from the day I had my blood drawn to make a decision. Therefore, I may be waiting to hear all the way through the middle of October. Part of the update I received included this information:

If you are chosen to donate the next steps will be:
            1.         Participate in an information session
            2.         Attend a physical exam at the hospital
            3.         Donate:
 Bone Marrow OR Peripheral Blood Stem Cells
         -Receive daily filgrastim injections 4 days prior to donation. 
         -Only the first injection needs to be in a clinical setting.
These steps typically require a 3-4 weekday commitment.
Needless to say Bill and I aren't making any big plans for the next 2 months. I don't want to have something planned and keep Mr. Cancer Man waiting. If we did have plans all I would have to do is report those to DKMS and they would work around them. I know that if I was the one that was sick, I wouldn't want to have to wait any longer than necessary so I won't do that to someone else.
I was also given a list of restrictions, for the next 2 months I cannot get any new tattoos, piercings, donate blood, use a needle to take drugs not prescribed by a doctor, have sex with someone who is at risk for HIV/AIDS, have close contact with someone who has Hepatitis, and I also have to avoid the possibility of becoming pregnant as I will not be able to donate if I am growing a tiny human. Obviously this list, other than the no tattoos, is a cake walk, I'll just schedule a tattoo appointment for October 23rd :)
The email also asked that I contact them immediately if I suffer a physical injury, am diagnosed with a new medical condition, plan on receiving any vaccinations, other than the flu shot, have any dates that I will be unable to donate, or are unsure on my commitment to donate.
I would still love to donate and move forward in the process but part of me also hopes that Mr. Cancer Man is doing so well that they don't think he'll need a bone marrow transplant. Although this is pretty unlikely considering he has Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. As soon as I hear anything else I'll let you know!
Stay Healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment